Nebulas - Motion, speed and detail

Hi there,

I’m using EmberGen create a Nebula scene and would appreciate some advice regarding some specific details I’m struggling to achieve.

Please view this video by Jason Key: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9Ak3XvWVMU

A few questions:

• What is the best approach to have slow moving simulations like the above? Is it to adjust the timestep to something high or adjust the forces to very small values?
  • Notice the wispy, curling edges in the video? How does one achieve this? I have tried noise of all scales, various post modulation setups using velocity and vorticity, 4x upscaling and I still cannot match this level of detail.
  • How do you mask the emission of particles with a noise or blend shapes? The mask pin seems to only respect primitives.

Thanks for the overwhelming response :+1:

Hi so sorry for the delay in response. This must have gotten lost while there was a team meeting over seas. There are a lot of resources in our JangaFX discord regarding this specific task, but to address the points you called out:

• TimeStep is the only time based parameter in EmberGen, but simulations start to behave abnormally as you deviate from 60Hz. If you’re increasing this value, you will likely need more ‘power’ from your other nodes and parameters but you’ll have to adjust on the fly.
  • Using invisible particles to interact with the smoke layers is usually the best way to get these sharp tails in your simulation. I’m not sure how much post processing is done in this video but that can also be used to sharpen up your renders from EG.
  • Particles can only be emitted through primitive shapes, but you can get around this issue (to some degree) by using a large shape on the input and set the emission type to “Inside Mask Shape”. That way whatever is plugged into the mask shape will be where the particles are emitted.

Hopefully this helps, but let me know if you have any other questions!