Blender import looks nothing like Embergen Render

I dont know if there is a way to export more of the embergen render settings that I don’t know about, but I can’t get anything close to what i’m seeing in embergen on my blender imports

played around with the magic fire here

blender results

Any tips appreciated. despite having used blender for a couple hundred hours and 3dsmax for more than that, it’s not exactly something I do often.

So both the great thing and the unfortunate thing about EmberGen is we’ve built it specifically for rendering volumes, and thus we have a ton of great parameters that are for volumes that most other renderers don’t have. On your end, it looks like you need to continue to play with your gradient mapping. I would say that your gradient is probably too high in temperature and perhaps you need to adjust what range the gradient is mapping to. In EmberGen you can get very similar gradients to what you’re seeing in blender if the temperature is incorrectly mapped.

ok so in embergen I rearranged everything so the temperature maps better to the normalized color ramp.

I’m still not really any closer.
Also now it seems like my temperature range in blender is all messed up. anything above 1.0 is blown out, but it’s supposed to be degrees not a normalized value.

Is this a blender limitation?

Our temperatures export in kelvin and could be well over 10,000 so keep that in mind.

so in embergen i have the color ramp from 0 - 4000 and in the volume node I have “fire temperature adjustment” at 100%. and “blackbody max temperature” is 4000k.

based on that should the temperature in blender’s principal volume shade be around 4000 or if it’s Celsius 3726.85?

@vassvik can probably chime into here. I feel like the max temperature is a rendering only thing and the temperatures are often way higher.

Never did get this to work

still stuck. Either this is a bug or a limitation or the guides on how to import to blender are incorrect.

It’s likely just limitations of blenders renderer. I don’t really have any tips for you right now. No renderer is going to look exaclty like ours because we do a number of special things that other renderers don’t.

You can’t use a color ramp node in Blender without an input. You need to add an attribute node, type in temperature and plug it into the factor to map it with the color ramp.

I really appreciate the help! I really have no idea what I’m doing in this node editor and all the tutorials I’ve found have been for normal colored fire.

I still can’t get it to look the way it’s supposed to though. I have no idea if I’m doing this right or not.

Have you tried the blender forums at all? I wonder if it’s a temperature range issue because notice in EmberGen what your gradients temperature range is mapped to. You probably need to map similar values in Blender. If you can’t get it right, you can always export an image sequence from EmberGen and composite it into your blender scene.

Oh I’ve tried messing with the temp a lot. it just goes pure white if I go much higher than what I have there.

and I should point out when using blender’s built in quick smoke fire effect I can sorta get the colors close to right. not exact, but a lot better