Texture driven emission

there was a post on twitter in 2019 about developing emission from textures… but i can’t seem to figure out if this feature died on the vine or made it into the software…
any tips? wanted to bring in a texture map (or even animated texture map sequence) to mask emission… any thoughts??
cheers all

a

so i can drive a mask on the emitting geo with vertex colours… it’s a start i guess…
would be ace if we could used texture maps for emission parameters like smoke/particle colour, or velocity as well as masking emission locations… something for a future build?

Hi Adrian, I know that this will not be possible in the current iteration of EmberGen, but may be possible in version 2.0, but we are far away from that becoming available. Everything in EmberGen is voxelized so that it behaves correctly in the simulation bounds, so you end up losing all texture data.

I was trying to think of some workarounds but EmberGen also struggles with variable vertex count imports and can cause unstable behavior when they’re used (if they import correctly at all). We can’t do animated vertex maps, but if you’re able to utilize all 3 vertex colors, you can animate the 3 color values within EmberGen to spread the effect across the 3 colors. That’s as close as I can think for the time being, but let me know if you have any other questions!

1 Like

Yes indeed,
This is some obstacles I have with it right now too.

Both Blender and Lightwave TurbulenceFD, or lightwave native gas solver can use textures, and fractals for strict density emission, unlike the noise that is plugged in to a force and you can´t just set the amplitude and scaling without affecting the force.

Though I have just began to look in some of the post processing and masking for the Volume nodes, which may or may not help out with that a bit more.

The best option I tried was with TurbulenceFD for Lightwave, where I simply use a any of all the wonderful fractal textures available for Lightwave as density map emission only, and on top of that I could set multiple fractal textures on layered on top of eachother, with a different mode like subtractive, which ment I could get different raised peaks of the fluid rising.