Exporting Clarification

Hey. I want to bring in fire, smoke and such as a 3D asset into DR and place it in a scene. Yes it is Studio and I have Syntheyes. I am fine with placing 2D assets from various sources into fusion. Even 3D characters from mixamo. So, I exported the default fire preset as a sequence and exr file. I need to look harder into the sequence file (png) but the exr file shows up in media and red throughout DR. The exr looks flat, 2D’ish. I have a few questions.
Do I first import the file to Blender then export out? fbx or abc?
Are vdb files for 3D only?
Whats the best you tube video for exporting to DR. Most everything is to blender.
Thanks

Hey sorry for the delay! EXR and PNG files are always going to be 2D files and VDB will always be 3D. When you say DR, what exactly are you referring to? This will help me answer your questions!

That’s fine, at least you responded. The VA has responded in 4 months. Anyway, I am having issues with importing exr files into Davinci Resolve Studio. DR is Davinci Resolve. I had asked the Black Magic Design Forum for help and it has turned into an Embergen problem and or me. I am going to reference the link below. Will you help me figure out what I am doing wrong please? I would appreciate any help, thanks, Matt.

Blackmagic Forum • View topic - exr file to fusion for a 3D scene.

[

Blackmagic Forum • View topic - exr file to fusion for a 3D scene.

](https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=205440&p=1067773#p1067773)

Oh okay thanks, I was not familiar enough with Davinci Resolve enough to know it by its letters haha. But can you explain what exactly the problem is? I looked through the forum and it looks like you got your flame exported properly.

No problem. To my knowledge it was exported properly. Any idea why it is not working? So, in Davinci Resolve, the file works as a separate media and seen in a viewer but when I attach the exr file to the 3D plane it wont accept it. When I attach an mov file of a zombie from production crate it works. I have to assume I dont have something checked off correctly? Either in Davinci Resolve, which I understand its not your program however in the 2nd response, I was instructed to change the rgb and alpha lines, then export. Or something I didnt check in Embergen.

Have you tried connecting other EXR files to DR before? It might work differently than MOV files, like in After Effects you need to add a specific effect to read EXR files.

The only other thing I can think of is making sure your Alpha type is set to Straight when you export from EmberGen, but I’m not sure that will fix it.

Let me know if you make any progress on this!